Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Internet Will Never Ruin My New CD Package Opening Experience!

photo courtesy of http://rlv.zcache.com

So I stopped by Best Buy this afternoon to pick up a CD by a new duo called Sam and Ruby entitled The Here and The Now. The CD has been touted as being one of the best discs of the year. Apparently so, because Best Buy was sold out of the product and so was across street rival F.Y.E. Like many of you who have mastered the art of downloading from the Internet, I'm sure you're wondering why I just won't download it and end my search.

The answer is simple...I want to unwrap my new disc. There is nothing like the experience of purchasing a disc from one of my favorite artists (or new favorite) and hurrying to the car to sit and open it. The sound of plastic ripping and tearing. The slight catch the plastic jewel case has when it is first opened is an experience only understood when lived. The next thing is to savor the smell of a freshly pressed amalgamation of musical joy. If time allows, I'll even sit and read the liner notes (yeah, I'm that obsessed).

The truth is, much like vinyl paved the way for 8-tracks, cassettes, CD's and MP3's, it still has a special place for those who love the sound of it. The same can be said of the experience with CD's. Downloading strips away the intimacy of appreciating the artwork design and special words beyond the stories in song. There is a sense of nostalgia that iTunes will never replace.

I'll admit that I have downloaded my share of tunes but there always seems to be a bit of something missing. The songs still sound the same but the element of excitement and realization of the journey you're about to partake is lost within the click of a mouse.

2 comments:

achoiceofweapons said...

I love albums cause I can read the liner notes and see the artwork! But I love my Ipod and hearing great music is always the greatest pleasure!

Riss said...

Mista Jaycee,

There's just something about reading where the artists get their inspiration from. It's apart of the experience for me. I do love my iPod as well!