Saturday, June 5, 2010

Homegirl Of The Month - May 2010, Marcelite J. Harris

photo courtesy of www.af.mil

May's homegirl is a representation of the beauty of perseverance, obliterating obstacles, strength and determination. I felt it was only fitting for the month's Memorial Day observance to recognize a service member who served at one of the highest rankings in the branch I proudly serve in currently, the United States Air Force. She is none other than the first black female Brigadier General, (Ret) Major General Marcelite J. Harris.

Major General Harris was commissioned through Officers Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas in 1965. She had several firsts to include being the first woman Aircraft Maintenance officer and one of two women to become commanding officers at the United States Air Force Academy. She was also the first woman deputy commander for maintenance. Additionally, she served as a personal staff officer during the Carter administration from September 1975 to May 1978.

Before she retired in 1995, she served as Director of Maintenance at Headquarters Air Force. She was responsible for the training and equipping of 120,000 service members. She maintained a 260 billion dollar Global Reach Global Power aerospace weapons systems inventory. She established an annual budget of 20 billion dollars to the office of the Secretary of Defense Office of Management and Budget and Congress.

Major General Harris' journey of success has paved the way for many future homegirl's proudly serving and will serve in the Armed Services. Her legacy is truly a force to be reckoned with. Major General Harris, Life Inside My Head salutes you!

For more info on Major General Harris, please click here.

6 comments:

Reggie said...

Impressive, very impressive.

Riss said...

Reggie,

It's great to see women of color getting the recognition they deserve. Too often, that recognition is for the wrong reasons which is why I started this thread. I wanted to show people that we're doing big things that are impacting our world in a positive way. Thank you for stopping by!

Reggie said...

My father was a commissioned Air Force Officer, a graduate of Tuskegee Institute (back before it was University). While growing up I lived on Air Force Bases around the country. I enjoyed that life and being exposed to so many different types of people. It's that type of environment and upbringing that shaped me to be the person that I am today.

Riss said...

It is a great life to be exposed to. I joined at the ripe old age of 17 (my mom had to sign me over...lol) and I've enjoyed it so far. I'm looking to do my 20 then kick rocks.

The Armed Services life does afford an opportunity to meet new people and expose yourself to new cultures.

Don said...

Sadly, I have never heard of this admired sista. But through your efforts at least I can now be given an idea of her contributions. A true leader, paving the way for others.

Former Army servicemen, here. I liked and disliked the experience. Still, I am proud to have served 8 years.

Riss > Air Force.

Riss said...

Don,

It's a shame that I had to seek this research out. You would think something that monumental would be driven home in our promotion testing but oh well...that's what this blog is for -- to bring something new to the forefront! : )

I'm 50/50 about my experiences so far with the Air Force. I don't necessarily like where it's heading but I'm grateful that it has brought me many positive experiences. Army eh?? HUAH! : )