Thursday, September 13, 2007

Greetings From God's Country!!



Hello Everyone from sunny, rainy, wonderful Texas!! I'm actually here "recharging" and enjoying a little R&R with friends. I've been here just under a week and let me tell you, it's been great! I've had Mexican food just about every night so I'm sure I'll need to run around the block a few times when I get back but who cares, I'm vacationing! Some of you may or may not know that I lived out here (San Antonio to be more precise) a few years ago. I didn't really appreciate it then like I do now. Of course, hind sight is 20/20 and I miss the simple pleasures that I enjoyed here. Below is a list of things that I hope to be partaking in on a more permanent basis in the near future:

1. Texas Hospitality - From the fine cuisine to the friendly smiles, everyone I've encountered here wants to make you feel like you're among family. People are polite and actually say "Hi" and don't give you death stares if you initiate salutations.

2. The Food - I have to admit, I've missed authentic Mexican cuisine, steaks that are actually good (and inexpensive), 5 trillion restaurants to choose from (I'm in Houston and I'll need at least half a year to sample them all), and the servings (true "Texan" portions), and service with a smile : )

3. Open area - This state is huge and you don't have to live on top of your neighbor. Additionally, you can see miles and miles on the interstate including 5-0 if you got a lead foot.

4. Housing - You can get a 3,000 sq ft house for a fraction of the cost on the East Coast. You'll have more land and your kids won't have to wear hand-me- downs so you can make that mortgage payment.

5. The Pace - East Coaster's (not all of them) want to get it done, get where they're going, or piss you off in record speed. Texans like to take it easy, maybe due to the ridiculous amounts of steak and Mexican food in their gut. Regardless of the fact, they take it easy and get it done - and most importantly with a smile.

Of course, I don't miss the insane traffic or the way the city shuts down and becomes a bumper car rally when it rains but, if you can stay off the road you'll definitely enjoy everything else. If you're ever in H-Town (or Hou'Orleans as I affectionately renamed it due to the vast number of Big Easy transplants), make sure to stop by Ninfa's Mexican Restaurant (they're a chain), Pappasito's (also a chain with a sister cajun joint that's superb called Pappadeaux's), Chacho's (the best Margarita's) and an after club favorite Taco Cabana.

I'll continue to enjoy my stay here and give you updates on how much I'm loving it out here!

2 comments:

Mommy said...

A big ole Howdy...to ya Sissy!!! Glad you're enjoying the Lonestar state. You sound right at home in TEX...AS. Well maybe good old Uncle Sam will see fit to send you back home. Tell all of your friends hello from the Sunshine state!!!! Love ya and be careful...

PS: Jordan loves you too...

Riss said...

Howdy back at ya'! Yes, I am enjoying myself and most of all enjoying not being at work! Maybe Uncle Sam will send me back here, that would be prime. Send everyone my hello's too and tell Jordan Sissy loves her back! : )