Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Pre-Rihanna World



Whatever happened to girl groups...who could sing like the ladies of Jade featured in this vid? 90's R&B was hot, sexy and fun! Girl groups like SWV, Mokenstef, For Real, Kut Klose, Changing Faces, Destiny's Child all followed the path set by the original funky divas - En Vogue.

The thing that I love about music is that it is timeless. It has the power to transport your mind, spirit and dancing shoes to another place. If I were to compare 90's R&B to the growing process I would compare it to my teenage years. In those years as with this music, life was exciting, youthful, full of energy, and ready for the brave new world.

I leave you with the bar to which all those girl groups were measured - En Vogue singing the classic Hold On. You couldn't tell me I wasn't part of the group trying to sing this as a tween!

6 comments:

Joanna said...

See, now I am going to have to go on Youtube tomorrow and listen to every En Vogue song I can find!!!

Riss said...

Joanna,

You're definitely going to enjoy what you hear! The harmonies are sick and all the ladies can sing lead.

Joanna said...

I used to LOVE En Vogue. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I love singing along to the radio, and some of their songs were my favorites to sing back in the day!
Free Your Mind.... Whatta Man.... Something He Can Feel... I could go on but now I am going to listen to some of those songs!!!

Joanna said...

Wow... I am listening to Free Your Mind right now.... I forgot that this song makes me tear up when I hear it.

Riss said...

They do their thing with Free Your Mind. I like the Lies remix and Give It Up Turn It Loose.

But you're right, they have so many hits, it's hard to pick just a few.

Don said...

I remember these classic groups. Seems like a long time ago when compared to Rihanna and Lady Gaga's, although in fairness there is a big difference between Pop artists and R&B artists.

All groups named definitely dropped some cult classics.