Monday, February 22, 2010

Heavier Things

photo courtesy of www.librarising.com

I wish this was only a post about that great album that John Mayer released a few years ago, but sadly it's not. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge fan of his music. I'll admit that it was the songwriting and guitar playing that made him a bit cuter in my eyes but nevertheless, it was always about the music.

Mayer can wrap genius around a lyric and play with as much passion to sustain it. It's his solid guitar playing that despite recent events, will sustain him in conversations about the "greats" years from now. It pains me to see all this talent playing second fiddle to his diarrheatic blabbering. Unless you've been living under rock for the past week or so, I'm sure you've heard about the now famous Playboy interview. First, let me say that I am neither naive nor surprised at anything he says because he is human and not above reproach. He seems rather self-absorbed and in the midst of all that, very unconcerned where his comments will land. Should we blame him? Not really.

I don't condone any person who demeans or belittles any race or class of people. I would be a hypocrite though if I said I haven't listened to music by certain artists who do just that. The problem that I have with John is that all the things he said, whether meant to be a joke or not, take away from what brought him ultimately to a place where he could be so brazen. Many bloggers and commenters have applauded his honesty. The vast majority however have blasted him for being a classless blabbermouth. This whole thing is a classic example of being seen and only heard through your music.

We all at some point have kissed and told. We all have preferences on how we like to indulge and with who sexually. I don't fault him for that. I do however wished that he could have been more of a gentleman for the sake of those who at one point, valid or not, trusted him to be such. As for the infamous word he used, I'll say that I don't use that word. I don't like it or the pain that it reminds most of. I don't feel he used it in a way that should warrant the level of backlash he has received for it. I just wished he hadn't used it at all.

John Mayer is a talented artist with opinions just like the next person. Unfortunately for him, his opinions are the fuel for public fodder. He has issued a textbook mea culpa and gave a rather emotional and questionable introspection to fans but words cannot be recovered once the tongue releases them. There is a fine line between being "raw in interviews" and being real. Humor is ok but the punchline should only be proverbial.

4 comments:

Don said...

You know ... I'd read and heard about Mayer's words though I could never really get a grasp upon the man himself. I figured his quote to be humorous. I doubt very seriously if he could really turn down an attractive black woman, if so, still no big deal.

Reading this post and knowing your spirit (somewhat) I take your stance to be one of truth and bottom line.

In that regards, thank you very much for sharing.

Riss said...

JM is too talented not to rise above the negative press but it's just sad because he doesn't need any press. His music can speak for itself.

And I know he wouldn't turn me down : )

Michelle said...

Not sure what he was thinking...I guess he wasn't. It is unfortunate that he chose such unflattering comments. I hope he apologized to Jessica.

Chelle

Riss said...

Chelle,

I don't know what he was thinking. If that had of been his sister that some other dude was talking about, it would have been a misunderstanding.