Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Florida Seafood Festival Memories


(photo taken from www.apalachicolablueway.com)

What do fried seafood, funnel cakes, autumn air, parades and cotton candy have in common? They are all parts of the Florida Seafood Festival! My memories of the festival and what it means to my family are as much a part of me as DNA. The first memory I recall of attending the festival, was when I was in the fourth grade. I was a member of the Chapman Elementary School marching band and played the Melodica in the festival’s parade that year. The sight of hundreds of people who had come far and wide to cheer us on was splendid. The parade was only a small part of a tradition that has been synonymous with my family’s annual reunions. Family from all around the world would come down during festival time. My aunt Yvette and my cousins Brandon and Brian would come down from Virginia Beach, Virginia. My cousins Jerome, Michelle and their children, CJ and Latoya, would drive from San Antonio, Texas. My cousin Chris came from Germany where he was stationed with the Army. He would meet up with his brother Marcus who would come down from Georgia. My aunt Yvonne and her clan would travel a few miles south from Panama City to partake in the festivities. My mother, sister and grandparents are local and are great hosts for incoming family. When I got older and joined the Air Force, I made the pilgrimage too. It was an opportunity to see each other again, fellowship and feast on some of the best seafood on the planet!

 

The Florida Seafood Festival occurs every year in Apalachicola, Florida on the first weekend of November. Apalachicola, Florida is situated at the lower tip of the Florida panhandle. If you can imagine the state of Florida being shaped like a gun, then Apalachicola would be located at the trigger. The festival began its tradition in 1963 in honor of the Florida fishermen and the star of the show, the seafood. Nearly a thousand patrons visit the festival each year. The first day showcases the Blessing of Fleet in which the King of the Festival and several clergymen from the town, bless the fishing vessels. This occurs at the Battery Park Marina. Battery Park is the site of the food and carnival festivities. There is usually a musical concert by a local or national artist on the first night. My family and I would attend the festival that evening to take in the various seafood items prepared by food vendors and local cooks. We would sample everything from oysters, to fried shrimp, fish and crab.

 

 
(My cousin Martinique riding on top of a car in the parade)
My favorite part of festival is the parade. It would begin at 10 a.m. My family and I would get up early to get dressed and head out to choose a prime location to watch the parade. The weather is usually mild in the fall in Florida. Temperatures would generally hover between the 50’s and 60’s, so sweaters or hoodie’s were enough to keep you comfortable. People cheered at the marching bands, the Kiwanis Lodge members in their tiny cars, and the festival’s main parade float. The float featured the King of the Festival and Miss Florida Seafood. My cousin Martinique was a member of the Miss Florida Seafood festival court which followed the main float. She rode on top of a private motor vehicle and waved to parade patrons as her father slowly drove the car. She, along with other parade participants, threw candy to the on lookers. It was an exciting time!
 
(My sister Jordan, my mom and aunt Yvonne)


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(photo taken by Dana Whaley)
After the parade, my family and I would go back to Battery Park and visit the food vendors.  My first stop was to sample the fried shrimp and hush puppies. I’m not particularly fond of fish but other creatures of the sea like shrimp and crab are what get me excited to eat. My aunt Yvonne and my mother would make a beeline for the fresh catch fish of the day which was fried or grilled to perfection. The raw oyster shucking and eating contest was a big event on parade day that drew most of the crowd at the park. Participants would see who could pry into the shell the quickest. Immediately following would be the oyster eating contest. Patrons would sign up to eat the most oysters to win a prize. There were carnival style games like Ring Toss and Free Throw Basketball. I played  basketball during high school so the Free Throw Basketball game was a particular favorite of mine. My younger sister Jordan loved the carousel and would want to ride it many times back to back much to the chagrin of my mother. You could smell the freshly popped popcorn intermingled with the smell of the fried seafood. Music played all around you, from Country to R&B. It was the celebration of a community that came together to celebrate one of the things that proudly united it.
 
 
(photo taken by Dana Whaley)
(photo taken by Dana Whaley)
 
 
 
(My sister Jordan on the carousel at Battery Park)
 


 Back on the “Hill,” which is the name given to the area where my family lives, you could walk down the streets and smell the fragrance of grilled barbecue emanating from any given yard. You could stop almost anywhere and someone would offer you a plate of food. My late aunt Monique, my mother, my cousin Chris and I would play the card game Spades which is my favorite. Every time I play it with other people, I think about the fellowship I shared with them. Young men and women would ride up and down the streets in their newly washed cars and yell pleasantries at you. Sometimes my aunts Yvette and Yvonne would drive my cousins and me around town to visit friends and neighbors. We’d catch up on old times and even share a few beers when we all of drinking age. As the evening drew to a close, local DJ’s would sponsor street parties. They would play all the    latest hits as people danced in the streets. My cousins Marcus and Chris were known for their interesting dancing techniques which cemented the idea that they had two left feet! At evening’s end, we would all congregate at my grandmother’s house and reminisce of days gone by and the new memories we made on the wonderful weekend.

 


(My sister Jordan, me and my cousin Dominique)
(My grandmother enjoying some seafood)
 
I haven’t made the pilgrimage in a few years, but my family still follows the tradition. We reunite, laugh, eat, dance and share the love that we have for each other. That same love is felt by anyone who visits during this time. The tradition extends past the biological. It is communal. If you are in the area this time of year in November, tell them I sent you and stay awhile. You’re with family.

No comments: