Sunday, August 5, 2007

Life After Floetry...: (

Marsha moving the crowd
Marsha and Amanda Diva remixing Floetry
Emily King doing her thing with her band




As many of you know (or don't know), I attended the Floetry "REMIXED" show last Wednesday. I had heard some rumblings that my favorite Duo had split up but couldn't force myself to believe it. I did know however that Marsha aka "the Songstress" was busy working with Dr. Dre (yes, that Dr. Dre that made Snoop and Eminem famous) on her solo joint. I was very happy for Marsha because chic is talented. She's written for Justin Timberlake, had her song redone by none other than Michael Jackson (the song Butterflies was originally recorded by Floetry, check their first CD), and is featured on albums by some of your favorite artists.


So when I heard of this Floetry "REMIXED" show, I envisioned some of the hits that I loved to hear from them twisted and reworked into something even more magical....


I was partially right. The show started by Marsha coming to the stage after some unfamiliar young lady introduced her. I waited to see if Natalie aka "the Floacist" would come out. She didn't. Instead, Marsha comes out and informs the crowd that Natalie "would not be here tonight due to unusual circumstances." There, my friends, was the blow to my chest and many others in the crowd who i'm sure didn't want face the inevitable either. Marsha had confirmed the rumors. Floetry was no more. The unfamiliar young lady was introduced as Amanda Diva a VJ from MTV who also spit, sang and rocked open mic poetry readings. She wasn't bad, in fact, I enjoyed her energy but it wasn't the Floacist. Marsha performed a couple of faves by the "Floetry Brand" as she put it so tongue in cheek. The girl sannng and I sannnnng along with her. She performed a couple of ditties from her upcoming album which I will be purchasing old school at Best Buy when it drops. The songs were nice and i'm sure it will be a success.



There was an artist who opened for them named Emily King. If Teena Marie and India.Arie had a baby, it would be this chic. She's a great performer from the N-Y and her album drops soon. I'll be posting something on her. If you'd like a sneek peek into something great, check out her myspace at www.myspace.com/emilykingmusic. I know I said myspace was the devil, well it is, but in this case, it's viewer friendly.



I won't get into how it all went down as far as the split. You can read Marsha's side on her blog at her myspace page by clicking here http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=54139310&blogID=293008557. I went to Natalie's (Floacist's) sitehttp://www.myspace.com/natalie_m_c_stewart to see if Marsha was making this up (i'm really talking like I know them :). Alas, it was true. There on Nat's site was the heading "Life After Floetry...) Nat's apparently doing her thing as well. Much success to the both of them.



Anyways, I'm getting over it. I enjoyed the show but i'm glad I caught them in DC before the split. They are still a great band and influenced my musical expression in a positive way. Hopefully one day they'll get back together, until then....enjoy this!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.