Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eyecatcher: Herb Ritts Photography



Herb Ritts was a phenomenal art and commercial photographer. His use of clean lines, strong images and superior eye for black and white visuals made him a prominent go to man of the 70's 80's and 90's. He photographed famous actors like Mel Gibson, Elizabeth Taylor, Drew Barrymore and supermodels Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, and Christy Turlington. He was also responsible for the successful ad campaigns of GAP, Versace and Calvin Klein.

He was the man behind the lens who filmed sexy, sleek videos like one of my favorite Janet Jackson videos featured here, "Love Will Never Do Without You." In addition to videos by Chris Isaak, Madonna and Michael Jackson, Herb Ritts took the idea of the music video to a sexier more sophisticated level.

For more info on Mr. Ritts and images of models like the delicious Djimon Hounsou, please click here. Sadly, Herb Ritts passed away in December of 2002 to complications of pneumonia. His legacy lives on through the images he captured through his amazing eye and his charitable contributions.

4 comments:

Don said...

I remember loving this song and video. I had no idea of who filmed, but it was definitely not of the usual music video vibe of this era.

Riss said...

Don,

I love his work. I'm a closet photographer and I LOVE Black and White photography. He just had a great eye and showcased pretty in your face imagery. If you dig photography, you should check out works by Gordon Parks, another one of my faves.

Don said...

I've heard of Gordon Parks. I cannot remember where though. I will google him and check him out. Will you ever post photographs of your work?

Riss said...

I may indeed post some things. I've been practicing on my roomie who wanted to take some nice photos for her honey. I'll see if I can get permission!